- Obtain and maintain EMT Certification
- Protect life and property by extinguishing fires including trash, grass, building, vehicle and chemical fires
- Participate in pre-fire planning, fire inspections and maintenance programs
- Participate in fire prevention activities
- Perform rescue operations to include vehicle extraction, water rescue, confined space trench and above ground rescue
- Assess nature of illness or injury at emergency scenes
- Administer initial EMS treatment
- Respond to non-emergency public assistance calls
- Assist the City of Temple Police Department on calls as needed
- Assist with arson investigations
- Participate in classroom, individual and live evolution training to maintain knowledge and keep current on all aspects of Firefighting
Firefighters work a 24 hour shift beginning at 8:00am and ending at 8:00am the next morning. They work every third day; twenty-four (24) on, forty-eight (48) off.
Who Can Be A Firefighter?
Any person desiring to become a City of Temple Firefighter must meet these basic requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Pass a Civil Service written entrance test
- Be at least 18 years of age to take the Civil Service written entrance exam but not have attained 36 years of age at the time of hire
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school OR have an equivalency certificate issued by the Texas Education Agency (or the equivalent agency in another state or District of Columbia)
- Must meet all requirements of the Texas Commission on Fire Protection and the EMT National Registry
How to Apply
The City of Temple Fire Department is subject to Civil Service as defined in Local Government Code Chapter 143. The first step to becoming a Temple Firefighter is passing the Civil Service exam. Exams are given on an as needed basis, no less than once per year. To be notified of an upcoming exam, click on the Notify Me link on the City of Temple Home page and sign up. An email will be sent when the next test is announced and you may register online or obtain a registration packet in the Human Resources office located at 2 N. Main, Ste. 209.
Completed registration forms must be a current form and may be submitted via postal mail, fax, e-mail or in person. Registration forms must be received in the Human Resources office by 5:00pm on the deadline date. Applicant registration forms received after 5:00pm on the deadline date will not be eligible to participate in the testing process for that date. The City of Temple Human Resources office is the official timekeeper for all deadlines.
The registration packet will contain qualifications and requirements necessary to the position of Firefighter. All questions regarding qualifications or requirements may be directed to the City of Temple Human Resources Office at 254-298-5650, or the City of Temple Fire Department at 254-298-5682 or email.
The City of Temple is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Eligibility List is established as a result of the final examination scores (passing is 70) and is valid for one (1) year, unless otherwise exhausted. An additional five (5) points shall be added to the passing examination grade for an applicant who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces for not less than one (1) year, and received an honorable discharge. A DD214 Member 4 form must be submitted with the registration form or prior to the start of the exam to be considered.
Applicants who pass the Civil Service examination and who are considered for appointment in the classification of either a Cadet or Probationary Firefighter, are required to pass each phase of the following selection process:
- Physical Assessment Test
- Background investigation
- Polygraph exam
- Oral interview board
- Work fitness medical exam including a drug test
- Eye exam; 20/100 uncorrected
- Psychological exam
Applicants who do not pass the written examination and/or fail to complete the selection process will not be considered for appointment as a firefighter for the duration of that current eligibility list. These applicants may reapply and retest for the next posted Civil Service examination.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to respond to a civil emergency within a 45-minute travel response time
- Must agree to not use tobacco products of any kind, both on or off duty while employed by the City of Temple Fire Department
- Must agree to take and pass an annual Physical Assessment Test
City of Temple Civil Service Local Rules can be found here.